Friday, April 23, 2010

Oklahoma Land Run

Today both of my boys are celebrating the Oklahoma Land Run at school.  They celebrate by dressing up as cowboys and making their own stick horse to ride with their pretend family to stake their claim of land.  Fun and educational!  Can't beat that.  A couple years ago I helped them make (okay who am I kidding, I made them) stick horses for this celebration.  The kids are encouraged at school to make their own stick horse and whoever has the best one gets an award!  Only one of the stick horses has survived thus far, so I had to make another one.  They are really easy to make. 

I used the following supplies:

1.  Sock
2.  Batting
3.  Two huge google eyes
4.  Ribbon
5.  Black & Brown Felt
6.  Braided Rope
7.  Dowel Rod
8.  Hot Glue Gun
9.  Pinking Shears


First, I stuffed the sock and shaped it to look more like a horse head than a big foot. 











Second, I attached ribbon and huge google eyes with the hot glue gun.
















Third, I cut the black felt in two parts with the pinking shears.  I cut a smaller part for bangs and attached them with hot glue.  Then I cut a bigger part for the mane and attached it with hot glue as well.

Then, I attach the braided rope with hot glue under the ribbon.  And last but not least, insert the dowel rod into the sock through the stuffing and put a couple of rubber bands around the sock to secure it to the dowel rod.  Stick horse complete!!



Happy Land Run Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment