Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Teacher Appreciation Card

I can't believe another year of school is coming to an end!  It seems like once kids start school time passes in a blink of an eye. For me this is bittersweet, because I love watching them grow and become who they are, but at the same time I just wish it would happen more s-l-o-w-l-y.  With the end of the school year approaching it's time to appreciate teachers and thank them for helping to teach and inspire our children. 

I wanted to create a card not only to thank my boys' teachers but also add something that would serve a purpose. So I liked the idea of a removable function that is part of the card, but also can be used for something else such as a bookmark!!  I really like the way it turned out, if I do say so myself!  I scrap-lifted the design layout for this card from a friends blog.  She has some of the best ideas.  I loved her idea of a pocket on the front.  And her removable eye chart in the front pocket I thought would be great as a bookmark for a teacher!

The base of the card is Kraft cardstock, which I seem to be using a lot of lately!  Then I used pattern paper from DCWV's The Grade School Stack. All of the dies are QuicKutz.

 Here is the list of dies used:

Chalkboard    REV-0045
Owl               REV-0138-S
Apple            RS-0579
Apple            RS-0734
Star               RS-0281
Tab               QKDS-11


On the chalkboard, I used white pigment ink to give the appearance of real chalk when I stamped the message.  I also used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo around the edges of the apples to give dimension and also used Pop Dots to raise them up.  After cutting the stars out I wanted to give them a little more pizazz so I applied yellow Stickles to them.  And just to give them a little more dimension I raised one of them with a Pop Dot. 


The bookmark is an old-school style library card (the one's you used to find in the back of a library book). On the front of the card I stamped "Teachers Rule!" at the top.  And added a scrap piece of paper from the front of the card to the bottom with another stamp that says "Thank you for being my teacher."  I added google eyes and some flowers to my owl to give it some cute character.  I also used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo on the edges of my owl to give it some more dimension and also so it wouldn't blend in too much to the background of the card it's on.
On the back of the card I attached a piece of ribbon with my Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher (I love this thing!).  On a piece of gold vellum I printed an inspirational teacher quote from Carl Jung on my computer/printer.  Immediately after it finished printing I poured green embossing powder over the wet ink and heat set it.  I love the way it turned out.        
For the inside of the card I adhered yellow cardstock that I printed a small teacher quote on.  I'm really happy with the way the whole card turned out.  And most important, the boys are super excited to give them to their teachers!  Thank you to all the wonderful teachers out there!    

                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment